Friday 6 November 2015

Release of my shawl or poncho design. "Coming Together"

When I was growing up I was very lucky as my mum took the time to teach and nurture my creative desire and taught me to knit.

I am so glad she did.  There is not a day goes by that I am not either knitting or doing some crotchet.

Last weekend my son took this lovely picture of us both crafting together. 

This year I set myself a challenge. I wanted to get back into designing.  I had the privilege of going to De Montfort University from 1994-1997 where I graduated with a BSc in Knitwear Design and Production.   It was an amazing experience, but I didn't really make the most of it upon graduation.

However my son is now growing up rapidly and I wanted to get back into my passion.

Over the years I have been lucky enough to meet two inspiring ladies who have helped build my confidence.  Jeni owner of Fyberspates has been such an amazing mentor and Maggie of Textile Garden has such faith in me and is always so encouraging.

Earlier this year I headed to Wonderwool
I do love this show as their is a great cross section of indie dyers.  One of these dyers that I do love is Triskelion Yarn.



I fell in love with the yarn. It's laceweight yarn with in a range of gorgeous colours, made from 100% Falkland Merino. It comes in 100grams with 800 metres.   I used the colourways Anvil and Maes.


My inspiration initially started from this image.

I wanted my design to mirror itself,  but I also wanted it to be delicate with the lace edging and bold with the contrast of colours. 

During the time I was starting and working on my design myself, my Mother and my son where heading off on a trip to Angelsea as my mum is from Holyhead. 

During our time here my knitting went everywhere.




On the top of Snowdonia. 


At the harbour in Holyhead.


In the cafe during a day trip out.

It was a very special trip.

On our return I finished the design and with much patients, guidance and help from Woollen Words Amelia who has tech edited the pattern for me it is now available to buy On Ravelry.

If you are an instagram user why not use our #comingtogethershawl link to share your lovely finished projects.




1 comment:

  1. It looks fabulous, Sara, and it's always lovely to know the background to a design. I hope it is really successful for you! xx

    ReplyDelete

Hidcote

I am very lucky to live very near a very big variety of National Trust properties within the Cotswolds  This weekend I took myself off to  H...